Monday, March 7, 2011

Babae by Inang Laya, Sung in Party Pilipinas



Last Sunday, I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Babae sung on TV, in Party Pilipinas no less. I was still a bit groggy from my catnap so I just made do with listening to it, not bothering to get up at all. It was part of a medley of songs that an all-girl group (the usual singers in Party Pilipinas) performed on stage. I couldn't find a video clip of that performance, so I went for this one containing the lyrics.

Looks like this song would likely take the course that Kanlungan and Tatsulok did. Kanlungan is the song that McDonald's used in one of its ads, since then Noel Cabangon revived his humdrum career. Tatsulok did even better than Kanlungan. It was sung by Bamboo, no wonder even kids were singing to it.

These are songs that tibaks or activists sing to and just one of the many alternative tunes that attempt to paint a different picture of the Philippine society. It is a song that most women can relate to. More than this, this song, if taken to heart, can and aims to empower women to not be slaves of society and patriarchy.

In having Babae performed on Party Pilipinas, I hope more women (and MEN!) listen to the lyrics with their hearts and let it open their minds to the plight of pinays today. The Maria Clara/Cinderella psyche is still a force to reckon with.

But please remember, singing Babae doesn't make you a feminist. Much like wearing a shirt with the Philippine map make you truly patriotic.

A salute to all women striving to make a change!

Read more about this by clicking the Read More Link below. Like this post? Click the button and let the whole world know! You can also subscribe to my feeds and follow my blog so you'll never miss a thing. Smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 2cents worth please? :DD

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails